This panel is part of a large stained glass window at Chartres Cathedral. It depicts Jesse in the center flanked by prophets Nahum and Joel. Above them are Ezekiel, David and after (Jesse’s son) Hosea. Jesus sits at the very top of the window. To view the full window, visit artandtheology.org/tag/tree-of-jesse/
Still your body and silently study the stained glass window. Invite God’s presence. Meditate on what you are seeing. After some time with the stained glass, consider the following questions:
- What captures your attention?
- Reflect on the colors, lines, and intensity.
- What do you learn about Jesus from this image?
- What does it tell you about God?
- What does it reflect about Advent to you?