Still your body and silently study the painting by Margret HofheinzDöring. Invite God’s presence. Meditate on what you are seeing. After some time with the painting, consider the following questions:
- What captures your attention?
- Reflect on the colors, lines, shadows, values, and intensity. Is there
action or movement?
- Who is in the foreground? Who or what is in the darkest part of the
- What do you learn about Christ from this image?
- What does it tell you about God?\
- What does it reflect about Advent to you?
ofheinz-Döring, Margret, 1910-. Holy Family, from Art in the Christian Tradition, a project of the Vanderbilt Divinity Library, Nashville, TN. https://diglib.library.vanderbilt.