Still your body and silently study the painting by Georges du Mesnil de La Tour. Invite God’s presence. Meditate on what you are seeing. After some time with the painting, consider the following questions:
- What captures your attention?
- Reflect on the colors, lines, shadows, values, and intensity. Is there
action or movement?
- Who is in the foreground? Who or what is in the darkest part of the
- What do you learn about Christ from this image?
- What does it tell you about God?
- What does it reflect about Advent to you?
La Tour, Georges du Mesnil de, 1593-1652. Joseph the Carpenter, from Art in the Christian Tradition, a project of the Vanderbilt Divinity Library, Nashville, TN. https://diglib.library.vanderbilt.edu/act-imagelink.pl?RC=46626